Photos from Haiti on-line

To see my pretty awesome photos of Haiti click on the link http://picasaweb.google.com/kerryandluc/Haiti#

The Presidential Palace

The Presidential Palace
in downtown Port au Prince

Sorry for the numerous emails about updates!

Most of the recipients on my mailing list told me they never rec'd the emails regarding the updates. To be safe I resent an email using a private Internet connections.

I apologize for those of you who rec'd more than one email. It was not intentional.

Bassin Bleu

Bassin Bleu
The second Bassin

Saturday, July 17, 2010

My First time at a Resort

Today I spent the day at Club Indigo (formerly known as Club Med) in Montrouis, Haiti. It was nice to spend the day at the beach and to get away from the ruins and the hustle and bustle of Port-au-Prince.


For $45.00 USD it got me a great day at the beach, swam in the Gulf de la Gonâve, all you can eat buffet, 2KM of sandy beach and I finally got ride of my T.T.T. (Tank Top Tan line) all this without spending a  single minute sitting on a beach/long chair! (Sorry Kerry I'm still not convinced about resorts)

The drive to Montruis was quite interesting in it's self in so many ways. The road we took to leave PaP was new to me. I saw even more devastation. There is more damaged buildings on the secondary roads than on the main roads. Probably because there are more buildings?

The countryside of Haiti is gorgeous, the fields are filled with plush green vegetation, beautiful green hills (I would love to hike some day) the road is along the coastline, the water is bright turquoise. palm trees everywhere just gorgeous.

What I found interesting was the road we took to get to the resort. The road and the ditches are newly constructed. In some villages the road is currently under construction. I was told the Government is preparing for people to be moved to the villages North of PaP. I'm not going to elaborate too much on that because I don't have the all the information.

Although I can see the logic in that for a few reasons. The North of Haiti wasn't hit by the earthquake, the epicentre was West South West of PaP. You'll see in the photo album that there are thousands of tents in the fields and people are moving North. Apparently since the earthquake (or l’évenement as the Haitians call it) the Haitian Government is urging it's citizens to move to the northern villages.

What struck me the most is the poverty. I saw people ridding on donkeys carrying their groceries and merchants using donkeys to haul their goods. Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with ridding an ass once in a while but this is the 21st century and it's a country in the western hemisphere. I saw people living in shacks, sheds, brick boxes with no roof, cars, abandoned school buses, etc... Most markets are on the side of the road or in open fields with no roofs and they are so crowded with people, live stock, food, clothing and crap I don't know how people can move around?

I hope you enjoy the blog as much as I enjoy writing, every time I see something interesting or take a photo of something interesting I look forward to write about it.

Your comments on the blog are always appreciated.

Until the next entry.

4 comments:

  1. Luc, there is always Barbancourt to make things go away.

    Take care of yourself.
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salut Luc,
    C'est intéressant de te lire sur Haiti.
    Ca me rappelle des souvenirs. J'en apprends encore sur ce pauvre pays, grâce à toi. J'ai hâte de voir des photos. Pas seulement sur la misère de ces gens mal fortunés et leurs gîtes mais aussi sur la beauté naturelle des environs.
    C'est sûrement une expérience unique en son genre que tu dois vivre. Difficile autant qu'enrichissante. Sois prudent et merci de ton courriel au sujet des beubittes... A plus!
    Roger Lamoureux

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luc

    I am enjoying reading your blog. Sounds like you are having a good time (on the weekend), but the devastation would be hard to imagine without the pictures we have seen. I can't imagine anyone living that way.
    Cheers, Gerri

    ReplyDelete
  4. So strange to see the contrasts between a super clean appartment, dining room, blue sea and than the devastation. How does it smell? Also those contrasts? Maybe strange question, but when looking at the picture of the garbage cleaners I could smell garbage that has been in sunshine too long and seeing the women selling fruit I could smell nice fresh sweet fruits.
    Karen (Haarlem)

    ReplyDelete

View of Jacmel

View of Jacmel
from the top of the mountain

Downtown Jacmel

Downtown Jacmel
dump in the middle of the street in Jacmel

In front of the old Barbancourt Rhum Factory

Tit-for-Tat

check out the blog from a colleague at work. I guess great minds think a like?
http://lifeinthefast-track.blogspot.com/